Technical Project Manager
The Rhino Africa story began way back in 2004 and has since grown beyond our wildest dreams. Repeatedly voted Africa’s Leading Safari Company, Rhino Africa is a world leader in curating bespoke once-in-a-lifetime luxury African itineraries. We firmly believe in the transformational nature of our tourism industry and the value it has in providing sustainable solutions in both protecting our wild animals and uplifting vulnerable communities in Africa.
We are on the lookout for a full-time Technical Project Manager to join our Enterprise Project Management Office (EPMO) team.
The purpose of the Technical Project Manager role at Rhino Africa is to guarantee the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of projects that are technical in nature. It is their objective to manage budget/cost, time/schedule, risk, change and scope for all the projects that have been assigned to them.
They play a critical role in ensuring that projects are planned, managed and executed effectively while adhering to the gating process. They will coordinate project teams and ensure that deliverables are completed and project objectives are met.
As a Technical Project Manager your responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to:
- Develop and maintain comprehensive project plans that outline project scope, status, individual tasks, milestones, deliverables, completion estimates, and resource allocation.
- Create, maintain, and complete other project management-related documentation such as specifications, user stories, test plans and release notes.
- Define project scope, goals, budgets, timelines, deliverables and resources in collaboration with the technical team and relevant stakeholders
- Submit project deliverables, ensure they adhere to quality standards and are thoroughly tested before deployment.
- Coordinate the roll-out of staging and production releases.
- Coordinate the development of user manuals, training materials, and other documents as needed to enable successful implementation of technology projects
- Facilitate vendor assessment process for new technology implementation projects
- Ensure projects adhere to frameworks and methodologies set by the EPMO
- Facilitate organisational change management and project governance processes to ensure successful implementation of technical projects
- Monitor and report on project progress while tracking project deliverables.
- Update EPMO team of project changes so that the relevant project roadmaps and project portfolios are updated.
- Obtain stakeholders' acceptance of project deliverables.
- Identify and manage project risks and issues, and develop and implement mitigation strategies.
- Establish effective project communication plans and ensure their execution.
- Communicate project progress to senior management and other stakeholders through regular project updates.
- Coordinate with cross-discipline project team members to ensure all parties are on track with project requirements, deadlines, and schedules.
- Support and direct the project team to enable successful project completion.
- Meet with project team members to identify and resolve issues.
- Frequently conduct retrospectives with the project team to assess project status and ensure quality standards.
- Ensure customer satisfaction through post-project debriefs with stakeholders.
- Lead and manage the project teams throughout the project lifecycle.
- Lead and manage cross-functional teams within a project.
- Foster a positive team environment and encourage collaboration and communication among project team members.
- Coordinate and facilitate SCRUM ceremonies with the various project teams.
Our ideal Technical Project Manager will possess:
- National Senior Certificate (Matric)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, business administration or related field
- 3-5 years of experience in technical project management, preferably in a software development environment or web development agency
- Strong knowledge and understanding of SDLC and project life cycles associated with control gates.
- Experience in agile project management methodologies such as SCRUM.
- Experience managing projects across cross-functional teams
- Strong organisational and project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with stakeholders at all levels of the organisation.
- Proven ability to manage project budgets and timelines effectively
- Already based in Cape Town or willing to relocate
- Management skills in the following areas:
- Resource/People Management
- Scope Management
- Budget Management
- Time/Schedule Management
- Risk Management
- Quality Management
- Communication Management
- Change Management
Not essential but advantageous:
- Experience with project management tools such as ClickUp, Monday.com, JIRA, Asana, or Trello is an advantage
- Experience in a leadership role
At Rhino Africa, there’s a smorgasbord of added delights. With us, you would:
- Join an award-winning team in an industry-leading company in African travel and help us shape the future of our industry and continent;
- Make an impact - for every 7 people we bring to Africa, we create one permanent job in the tourism industry;
- Earn an attractive remuneration package including a competitive base salary, 4% pension fund and 20 days of paid vacation per year;
- When on-site, carry out your craft in gorgeous offices in the heart of Cape Town - the world's most beautiful city;
- Optional Health Insurance coverage with Essential Med;
- Work under visionary leaders who encourage a family culture, open and direct communication and honest feedback;
- Collaborate with a diverse and talented high-performance team;
- Explore Africa! Each member of the Rhino Africa Crash has exclusive access to the Roaming Rhinos online travel portal. With the keys to the kingdom you'll unlock travel deals for yourself, your family and your friends. You'll get to take advantage of rebates on activities, transport and accommodation, including our own Camissa House and Silvan Safari Lodge!
Rhino Africa Safaris is an equal opportunities employer. Applicants from previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference. Please note that this position is only available to SA citizens.
This job has now closed
You can find more jobs over on our careers page.
See More Jobs